Nov 22, 2017
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Overview
The biochemistry and molecular biology program offers an interdisciplinary major that draws on the faculty and course resources of the departments of biology and chemistry. Designed to provide students with an in-depth exploration of an area of science that is perhaps the most exciting and actively growing of any today, the program is suitable for students who want to pursue graduate studies in the area; enter medical school with a strong background in basic science; or take laboratory or other science-related positions after graduation. Those wishing to major in biochemistry and molecular biology must select an adviser within the program and file a plan of study with the program director.
For more information, please visit the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Department’s website.
The BCMB major is an in-depth study of overlapping fields, and requires background in both chemistry and biology. The curriculum is highly structured, and so you must be careful in planning your course of study. We strongly urge you to take at least eight semester courses in chemistry, biology, calculus or physics during your first two years. You should also consider getting a faculty advisor from the BCMB program as soon as you know you want to be a BCMB major, as good course sequencing can make the major much more manageable. Course requirements are:
The electives may be any of the courses listed below that are not used to fulfill a requirement.
1=Fall semester; 2=Spring semester; #=Usually offered every second year; *=Offered irregularly
- BIOL 109 - Microbiology (B,2)
- BCMB 131 - Recombinant DNA (B,2)
- BIOL 137 - Cell Biology (B,1)
- PHYS 145 - Physics of Biomolecular Networks (A, *)
- BIOL 143 - Neuroscience (B)
- BIOL 210 - Genomics Seminar (B,*)
- BIOL 218 - Genetics and Disease (B,1)
- BIOL 219 - Physiological Ecology of Marine Algae (B,2)
- BIOL 221 - Developmental Biology (B,2)
- BCMB 228 - Molecular Genetics (B,2)
- CHEM 231 - Advanced Organic Chemistry
- BIOL 234 - Signal Transduction (B,*)
- BIOL 236 - Biology of Cancer (B,*)
- BCMB 237 - Chemistry and Biology of Medicine
- BIOL 238 - Seminar in Cell Biology (B,2)
- BIOL 240 - Comparative and Human Physiology (B,2)
- BCMB 244 - Bioanalytical Chemistry (A,2)
- BIOL 254 - Molecular and Evolutionary Systematics: Assembling the Tree of Life
- BCMB 266 - Biomolecular NMR (A, *)
- BCMB 275 - Protein Chemistry (A,2#)
- BCMB 279 - Computers in Biochemistry (A,*)
- CHEM 283 - Polymeric Biomaterials (A,*)
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Faculty
Robert Drewell, Ph.D.
John Gibbons, Ph.D.
Sergio Granados Focil, Ph.D.
Frederick Greenaway, Ph.D.
David Hibbett, Ph.D.
Charles Jacobsche, Ph.D.
Shuanghong Huo, Ph.D.
Denis Larochelle, Ph.D.
Noel Lazo, Ph.D.
Neva Meyer, Ph.D.
Deborah Robertson, Ph.D.
Donald Spratt, Ph.D.
Justin Thackeray, Ph.D.
David Thurlow, Ph.D.
John Brink, Ph.D.
Thomas Leonard, Ph.D.
Timothy Lyerla, Ph.D.
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Courses
Courses offered within the last 2 Academic Years